Water Safety Guidelines
I’ve been meaning to post more first aid tips for troops. These first aid tops are helpful for outings and to teach the girls. Older girls can practice some of these techniques to learn.
Everyone should follow safe procedures when in, on, or around the water. The following are general water safety guidelines. All aged girls should review these guidelines before any water activities, even swimming.
- Learn to swim. Learn boating, general first aid, and CPR skills. Contact your local Red Cross for information about swimming, first aid, and CPR courses.
- Check with your local Red Cross, the U.S. Coast Guard, state boating officials, and other organizations about boating courses. Take a course before engaging in any new activities on the water.
- Know what to do in case of a water emergency.
- Wear a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket when around water or when boating.
- Pay attention to local weather conditions and forecasts.
- Know how to prevent accidents, recognize hazards, and care for injuries.
For more, read Basic Water Rescue, a booklet published by the American Red Cross.