Last week’s vase project was really more of a project for older girls, but this vase can be made by young girls and older girls as well. It emphasizes the importance of recycling as it uses clean, re-purposed bottles. Seek out unique and interesting shaped glass bottles, and involve the girls in collecting these glass bottles. Make sure to let the parents know what you’ll be using the glass bottles for; they will need to have the labels removed with the inside and outside both thoroughly cleaned. Collect some glass bottles to bring as extras for any girls that are unable to collect bottles on their own.
- Empty glass bottles (or a regular glass jar or vase will work)
- Tissue paper
- Mod Podge (or 2 tbsp. white glue mixed with 2 tbsp. water)
- Paint brushes
- Cut out shapes of your choice from the tissue paper. Cut out several of each shape. Feel free to trace out shapes with pencil before hand.
- Paint on the Mod Podge (or glue solution) onto a small section of the bottle. Stick on a tissue paper shape. Paint more Mod Podge or glue solution over the top of the tissue and add another layer. Continue until the shape is as opaque as you would like. Don’t worry about getting one layer exactly on top of another layer. It looks fine if they are a little off.
- Continue adding tissue shapes all over the bottle or jar. When you are done, paint a coat of Mod Podge over the whole thing.
- Let dry. The Mod Podge will dry clear.
- Use scissors with blades sized appropriately to the age of the girls you’re w0rking with.
- Ensure that girls are not getting the glue or Mod Podge in their mouths.
Be aware that the adhesive you’re using is water soluable, so you should use these primarily with fake flowers or have adults take great care in washing the insides ONLY if used with real flowers.
Quick Shopping for This Project
- Fiskars Creative Works Comfort Grip 7" Scissors
- Mod Podge Lustre – 16oz/Gloss
- Tissue 20 x26 10/Pkg – Jungle Combo
- Tissue 20X26 30PK-Assorted Prints
- Assorted Kids Brush Tub
- Elmer’s Washable School Glue – 4oz