With all the outdoor activities that girl scouts do, it’s important to bring along a lot of water to stay hydrated. This is a great craft for a meeting before a camping or hiking trip. Remember to get a variety of foam stickers so the girls’ creativity can run wild with different designs to fit their personalities. The alphabet stickers are important for personalization, but if the girls would rather just use stickers to personalize the bottle holders, you can always write their names on the bottom of the can hug with a permanent marker.
There’s not much mess involved with this project – just the paper backings from the stickers that need to be cleaned up at the end of the meeting.
- Hole punch
- Foam can hug, tall
- Foam stickers, alphabet
- Cut three 24″ pieces of ribbon. Braid the ribbons together to create the handle.
- On opposite sides of the can hug, punch 2 holes for attaching the handle.
- Thread the braided ribbon through the holes and secure with a knot.
- Remove the paper backing from the foam stickers to decorate the bottle holder as desired.
- Always observe the children when using scissors.
Try looking at craft stores for the pre-made can hug. If you cannot find one, use foam sheets and glue to make one. Use a standard 16 oz. water bottle to judge the correct size.
Quick Shopping for This Project
- Foam Alpha Stickers-Mini
- Fibre Craft Foam Sticker Bucket-Art Deco
- Foam Shapes Assortment 1/2 Pound
- 1/16” Hole Punch
- Fiskars Childrens Safety Scissors
- Staedtler 12″ Shatterproof Ruler
- Silk Organza Beginner Pack 1yd Each Of 10 Colors