This is one of my favorite crafts to do even as an adult! It’s super simple and even younger girls can do it with supervision. Older girls may get a kick out of this craft since it is a more functional craft. Etched glass is completely dishwasher safe and the etching is permanent, so these items can be used for years. Feel free to experiment with other glassware like drinking glasses, vases, and candle holders.
A word to the wise – I have not had good luck with frosted or colored glass, so for best results stick to the clear glass. This tutorial will tell you how to do basic knock-out style lettering, but stencil kits can also be purchased from most craft stores for around $12 for a few pages worth of rub-on single use stencils.
- Armour Etch Glass Etching Cream
- Glass canisters
- ¾” vinyl letters
- Masking tape
- Disposable gloves
- Paint brush
- Using the masking tape (or blue painters tape, both work fine) to make a rectangle about half an inch larger than the encased lettering. Spell out the desired contents of the canister inside the taped rectangle (canisters can be used for all kinds of things in the kitchen, like rice, sugar, beans, etc, or for smaller craft items like buttons, safety pins, needles, etc.).
- Put on the plastic gloves for protection and apply a thick layer of the etching cream, within the masked off area. Spread the cream evenly over the entire stenciled area, being careful not to extend outside the lines. You should overlap the making tape boundary a little, but not over the outside edge.
- Follow the directions on the etching cream for how long to keep it on the glass. Usually it ranges between 30 seconds and 5 minutes, depending on desired results.
- Without removing the stencil, wash off all of the etching cream with tap water. Remove the tape and letters, then thoroughly clean the glass with dish soap or window cleaner.
- Adult supervision is required when using the etching cream.
- Adults can allow younger girls to apply the desired stencils and take care of applying and removing the etching cream themselves.
Quick Shopping for This Project