This Clay Heart Necklace is a super girly project, and should be best suited for older Brownie and Junior troops, ages 9-12. It’s a little messy, so make sure you have smocks or spare crafting shirts to cover up a bit. You should not use a toaster oven for this project that you actively cook in – it’s best to buy a cheap oven just for crafts or use an older toaster oven you plan on replacing in your kitchen. Some clays are toxic and render a toaster oven unsafe to cook food in from there.
Want to share photos of your troop and finished projects? Contact Us!
- Modeling clay: pink, lavender, & black
- Pony beads
- Plastic knife
- Oven/toaster oven
- Condition the clay by kneading it in your hands. Roll out the pink clay to about 1/8″ thickness.
- Use the plastic knife to cut out the heart, smoothing the edges with your finger.
- Knead the lavender clay and roll it out into 1/8″ thickness. Cut a second heart, making it about ¼” smaller than the pink heart.
- Carefully place the lavender heart on top of the pink heart.
- Knead just a small amount of the black clay. Roll it out to about ¼”. Cut a strip of clay and wrap it around the edges of the lavender heart, making an outline.
- Use other strips to make a peace sign inside the lavender heart.
- Use a toothpick to make two small holes at the top of the heart. This is where you’ll later lace the ribbon through.
- ADULTS: Follow the directions on the clay packages and bake in the toaster oven for the time indicated. Let cool.
- Cut an 18″ piece of ribbon and thread one end through the hole at one side of the heart. Tie a knot.
- Tie a knot 2″ from the first knot. Slip on a pony bead and tie another knot so the pony bead is held in place by knots on both sides.
- Continue knotting about every 2″ and adding beads to the desired length. End by tying the ribbon to the second hole in the heart.
- Adult supervision is required at all times.
- You can also use cookie cutters on the clay, but they should not be used for food ever again once it’s used in a craft project.
- An adult should use the oven only and complete that step in the process.