Posts Tagged "plastic gloves"
This was one of the most fun projects we did at summer camp. Yes, it’s messy but it’s a great project that girls of all ages can enjoy – and enjoy wearing! If you’re doing this for a camp, you should include a white shirt specially for crafts on the packing list. To boot, Tie Dye T-Shirts make for a great souvenir to bring home from camp. For a troop activity, you can either buy the t-shirts for your girls or send home a request for them to send an old white or really light colored t-shirt for the project.
Want to share photos of your troop and finished projects? Contact Us!
- Tulip One-Step Tie Dye Kit Rainbow
- White t-shirt
- Rubber bands
- Plastic gloves
- Plastic tablecloth
- Wash the t-shirt in a clothes washer to remove sizing.
- Cover your work surface with the plastic tablecloth.
- Place the damp shirt on your prepared surface and smooth flat. To create a traditional bulls-eye design, pinch the front of the shirt just above the center then lift fabric up and scrunch fabric into a tube shape. Wrap a rubber band about 2″ from the tip, wrapping several times until tight. Repeat every 2″ or so along the entire shirt.
- Wearing gloves from the dye box, fill a dye bottle halfway with water. Replace the cap and shake until all the dye is thoroughly mixed. Remove the lid, add more water to the line indicated on bottle, and replace the cap and shake to mix.
- Carefully squeeze one color of dye on tip, turning shirt until entire tip has dye.
- Squeeze another color dye around center of next section, letting it bleed toward rubber bands. Insert tip of bottle into folds and squeeze more dye as needed.
- Avoid squeezing the dye too close to the rubber bands so you can leave white rings between the colors. Rotate through the colors available in the kit evenly.
- Let the dye set 4-6 hours. Use scissors to carefully cut off the rubber bands.
- Fill a clothes washer to a full load setting with a small amount of laundry soap. Once agitation strts, insert the t-shirt. Dry in clothes dryer or line dry.
- Adult supervision is required when using the dye.
- Adults should cut off the rubber bands when working with younger girls.