Posts Tagged "cutting mat"
I love this project because the things you can do with it go beyond personalizing a room! I always wanted to make wall names for my room, but sharing it with my brother and not wanting to make one for him too, that was an idea quickly squashed! Kids, especially creative girls, love to put a personal touch on things. With the permission of the parents, this is a great project for girls to help decorate their bedrooms or playrooms. I suggest 7″ letters as they seem to be the most widely available, however you can use whatever size letters you want to make the project more feasible for your troop. Since the wooden letters are the most customized of all the supplies, you can also request that the girl’s supply the letters – they can do their names, or words!
Want to share photos of your troop and finished projects? Contact Us!
- 7″ tall wood letters for each name (or word)
- Acrylic paint
- Silver glitter spray
- 1 12″ x 12″ piece of scrapbook paper for each letter
- Felt flowers ranging in size
- Fine sandpaper
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
- Glue stick
- Craft knife & cutting mat
- Paint brushes
- Palette or plastic container
- Remember, first, to allow the paint to dry between each step.
- Lay down the newspapers to protect your work area. Paint edges all around the letters.
- Plan out what patterns of paper should be used for each letter. Apply the glue stick to the front of the letter and smooth over the paper, removing any air pockets or wrinkles. Turn the letter paper side down onto the cutting mat. Have an adult use the craft knife to cut away the excess paper around the letters.
- You can also use the letters and trace out the shape onto the back side of the paper with a pencil and cut out the letters with scissors, then glue the paper onto the letters.
- Use outward strokes to sand the edges of the letters. This will create a slightly distressed look and secures the paper to the letters.
- Use tacky glue to attach felt flowers or other embellishments of choice to the letters. For a finishing touch, spray glitter spray over the entire letter.
- Craft knife should only be used by adults, or with adult supervision for older girls.
- Use glitter spray only outside or in a well-ventilated area.